About The Author

My photo
Alabama, United States
Instructional Partner, National Board Certified Teacher in Literacy, Graduate School Student, Social Media Promoter for VocabularySpellingCity, Promethean ActivInstructor and Social Media Council member, Avid Twitterer @WhiteheadsClass, 1st Vice President for ALNBCT Network Board of Directors, Certified ALEX Trainer

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Although I'm Not Their Mother


A friend had posted this on Facebook. Although, I do not know the author, I feel as if could have written the words. I think all of us as teachers can understand its sentiments. 



ALTHOUGH I’M NOT THEIR MOTHER
I CARE FOR THEM EACH DAY
I CUDDLE, TEACH, AND READ TO THEM
AND SAFELY WATCH THEM PLAY
I SEE EACH NEW ACCOMPLISHMENT
I HELP THEM GROW AND LEARN
I UNDERSTAND THEIR LANGUAGE
AND I LISTEN WITH CONCERN
THEY COME TO ME FOR LEARNING
AND I DO THE BEST I CAN
THEY PROUDLY SHOW THEIR WORK TO ME
I’M PROUD TO SHAKE THEIR HAND
NO, I’M NOT THEIR MOTHER
BUT MY ROLE ALMOST AS STRONG
I NURTURE THEM AND TEACH THEM
THOUGH MAYBE NOT FOR LONG-
I KNOW SOME DAY THE TIME WILL COME
WHEN WE WILL HAVE TO PART
BUT I KNOW EACH CHILD I’VE LOVED
AND TAUGHT
WILL BE FOREVER IN MY HEART!

~Cara
Pin It

4 comments:

Lori said...

This is a great poem! And so true about how we feel about the students!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Lisa R. said...

That is such a beautiful poem & says exactly why so many of us are teachers!

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Amanda McDonald said...

I love this! It is very beautiful!
Mrs. McDonald's 4th Grade

Room 114 said...

I've read a lot of teacher poems, but never this one. It's so true and perfect for the end of the school year!

Lisa

Stories from Room 114